A day in the life of a bike commuter, looking at cars that take over the bike/bus only lanes. I'm an advocate of the "Share the Road" program and would like to see police enforcement of the cars illegally driving in the bike/bus lanes.

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Chicago Biking!

I received a comment on my last post that pointed out that I haven't yet written anything about commuting in Chicago. It's true! So I thought I should start. The only problem is that my route is a straight shot down Milwaukee Avenue, and there is the skinny bike lane that cars can't fit in for almost the whole path. That means that I will have to shift my blog focus. I can't write about cars driving in the bike lane! I suppose I could complain about the cabs that sometimes try to block you out...but that's sort of expected. And by law, they have a right to sit in the bike lane if they are picking up or dropping off customers.

So I bought a Jamis Aurora, a road bike that is durable enough for touring. It was within my price range and fulfilled my needs. I think that somewhere down the line i might buy a very lightweight aluminum frame road bike (single gear?), but for now, I'm happy. I purchased it at Rapid Transit Cycles on North Avenue. My only complaint is that I felt like some of the components weren't put on very well. The brakes were over-tightened and the cord was fraying after a week and a half. I had them fixed and the following week my front brakes were useless because they had loosened up. I know that this happens naturally, but I feel like my bike shop in DC would have noticed that it was loose and fixed it before it became a real problem. But the guy who appears to be the head manager (or owner) rigged a piece of metal that allowed me to use my grocery paniers. That was cool.

So I have a question...What is the rule on tipping when you're getting your bike fixed or tuned up? Do people usually tip? Would it be different if you just purchased the bike?

2 Comments:

Blogger CabbagesAndKings said...

Tipping hmmmmm?

I usually make an offer of coffee or water or some such. "I’m going to grab a cup of coffee across the street, do you want anything?" I find it shows that you are thinking about the mechanic, but not insulting him by offering cold hard cash, because really; how much is too much? or too little? You don’t want to piss off the dude fixing your bike now. And really, a warm cup of coffee or a cold Mt. Dew usually is more remembered than some folding; and, I must say, a bit more personal.

Wednesday, 26 September, 2007

 
Blogger Lindsay said...

I like that idea! I gave cash last time for the piece that was rigged to my bike and made from scratch...but I think the money ended up in the hands of the other guy--not the one who made the piece! Oh well. Coffee or croissant next time!

Tuesday, 02 October, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home